Product and Quantity
EZ Roll Grass Paver, 33,000 sq ft.
Right of Way
New York Department of Transportation
EZ Roll Permeable Pavers were used to contain soil contaminated with high levels of metals in Depew, New York. The affected area was located adjacent to a busy street in a utility right of way. Removing the contaminated soil and replacing it with clean soil was the ideal solution. However, this solution was prohibitively expensive and would have interfered with the installed utilities and traffic in the area. The involved agencies represented by Advanced GeoServices chose instead to design a containment scheme which featured EZ Roll Permeable Pavers. Only the top two inches of soil were disturbed during the installation, saving both time and money.
The advantages of using EZ Roll Permeable Pavers for this application are:
- Provides a visible, physical barrier to the contaminated soil
- Allows stormwater to percolate into the soil, filtering contaminates from the water
- Reduces or eliminates contaminated water from entering the storm drain system
- Promotes vegetation growth while holding topsoil in place and stabilizing the subgrade
The completed project improved the appearance of the area while still allowing access to the utilities without blocking traffic.
The general contractor stated:
Advanced GeoServices identified an innovative capping technology [for the contaminated soil] using EZ Roll Permeable Paver as a primary component. They efficiently implemented the design while working with New York DOT and EPA to gain approval and complete the installation.
More Information and Full Case Study PDFs to Download
- View our Case Studies Index Page for additional applications
- Download the full PDF case study: EZ Roll Grass Paver, Right of Way for Walden Avenue
- Have a technical question? Contact Technical Services
- Want to specify EZ Roll Grass Paver on your next project? Contact your Regional Specification Manager for technical design assistance, training seminars, and additional product information
- Looking for an EZ Roll distributor or pricing information? Contact Customer Service
Contaminated soil requiring containment in Depew, New York.
The final product.
EZ Roll Permeable Pavers are easily cut, making it easy to navigate around any obstacle.
EZ Roll Permeable Paver installed and ready to be covered with sod and soil.
Covering EZ Roll with soil just before installing sod. Hyrdo-seeding is an alternative method to vegegate an installation.